Sunday, February 10, 2013

I Came This Way

Life is what you make it, they say.

When I look back and take into account the life of my parents and grandparents and even my forefathers and mothers, I have no excuses for where I am.  They endured much, segregation, injustice, lack of resources, prejudices, access to a quality education, economic mobility and social opportunity.  My burdens, if you will, are light in comparison to what they when through.  Why should I complain?  


There is nothing that they could have done to fully prepare me for the experiences that I have encountered in the 21st century.  The pathway and the people you meet in life are the only indications of what to expect in life.  My life experiences have included resentment, hate, misunderstood and setbacks.  It was not that I expect more; rather it was what I received. 


One of my mother’s sayings was it is not where you come from that makes all the different, but where are you headed.   For your past, is what you are and never forget that; however where you have come from and where you are headed is another matter.  A person, who can’t bless the bones of their past, will not fully enjoy the experience of the blessings in the present and future.  For it is through the blessings of our ancestors that enables each of us to believe and appreciate success in the future.      

You came this way, not because you are smart, wise, handsome, beautiful, rich, or poor, but because you were born into God’s world and He always knows your past, path and promise.   

No comments:

Post a Comment